Bolton is the second highest employee base in Greater Manchester. With direct access to the M61, M60, M62 and M6 the town is reinventing itself with £1 billion plans to transform the heart of the town.
Located in the heart of Bolton town centre and set alongside the River Croal and St Peter’s Way (A666), Church Wharf acts as a gateway to the town. It is just a few minutes’ walk from shops and transport links and would be an ideal location for people travelling to and from Manchester, with planned regional train line electrification reducing journeys to just 12 minutes.
The site is currently home to a number of buildings (some of which are vacant and derelict), surface car parks, disused land, scrub and trees where buildings formerly stood and an area of industrial businesses beside the A666 bypass.
We’re transforming the site, replacing the surface car parking and derelict buildings fronting onto Manor and Bank Street with exciting new places to live, work and visit. The emerging vision also looks to maximise views of Bolton Parish Church and Bank Street Unitarian Church which sit adjacent to the site.
A place rich with history
The Church Wharf area has a rich industrial heritage. It was once part of the manufacturing district known as Little Bolton with imports and exports coming in via the canal. It has been used to produce leather and lead, barrels and casks and as a foundry. Before this the site was home to a market with Henry the Third permitting a Royal Charter for a Monday Market in 1251. The development will be designed to balance the desire for modern, high-quality architecture with its historic and industrial setting. We’re looking at retaining some of the historic buildings and other features.